Comment on General Election outcome
Commenting on the election result Barnsley & Rotherham Chamber Chief Executive Andrew Denniff said:
“Campaign slogans must give way to a renewed focus on the details that matter. Our local business communities need to see swift, decisive action to avoid a disorderly exit from the EU and to tackle the barriers holding back investment and growth here in the UK.”
Businesses’ priorities for the new government must be:
- Avoiding a no-deal exit from the EU and delivering a smooth transition giving everyone the time to prepare.
- Acting rapidly to reform business rates and replace them with a fairer system.
- Pressing ahead with improvements to transport infrastructure including HS2, Devolution and the Northern Powerhouse agenda.
- Investing in our skills base and reforming the Apprenticeships Levy so that more small firms can access high-quality training locally, at affordable cost.
- Delivering a sensible immigration system that gives firms access to essential overseas talent at all levels.
“Locally it is important that our Chamber engages as quickly as possible with our MP’s, especially the two newly elected Conservatives in Penistone and the Rother Valley.”