Whyy? Change’s Head of Comms named South Yorkshire’s Technology and Digital Apprentice of the Year
Whyy? Change’s Head of Communications, Matthew Trueman, has been crowned South Yorkshire’s Technology and Digital Apprentice of the Year. Matthew becomes the first ever apprentice to win the apprenticeship award category supported by Amazon at the South Yorkshire Apprenticeship Awards held at Magna Science Adventure Park.
Matthew joined Whyy? Change, a leading apprenticeship training provider, back in 2020 as a Marketing Intern having graduated from Sheffield Hallam University. Since his appointment at Whyy? Change, Matt’s development has been exponential, going on to be promoted twice, to Marketing Lead and then Head of Communications in January 2022.
During his apprenticeship, Matt has helped to transform Whyy? Change’s online presence both regionally and nationally, going on to achieve a number of accolades:
- Excelling in collecting customer feedback to build trust and social proof online, in just 2 years Whyy? Change has received 50 5-star Google reviews.
- Averaging an engagement rate of 16% across all LinkedIn content.
- Launching Whyy? Change’s sister brand, Whyy? Unboxd from zero in just 8 weeks.
Speaking after the awards, Digital & Technology Apprentice of the Year, Matthew Trueman, 25, said:
“To see your name up in lights alongside so many outstanding apprentices is just incredible. To be the first to win this award category is truly special. This award may have my name on it, but it wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for my colleagues and support network.”
Matthew went on to say:
“It always helps when you’re working with and learning from the best, I’d like to thank everyone at Whyy? Change for their continued support, encouragement, and inspiration.”
Whyy? Change was also shortlisted for three other awards; including the prestigious Training Provider of the Year award. Managing Director, Emma Harrison was named as a finalist for the Higher Apprentice of the Year and Matthew was also shortlisted for Degree Apprentice of the Year.
CEO of Whyy? Change, Ray Byrne shared his thoughts on the night:
“The award for Technology and Digital Apprentice of the year is highly sought after and it was great to receive the recognition he richly deserves. It doesn’t happen in isolation, and it was great to see the team celebrate success with Matt, but equally pleasing for Matt to recognise it’s his colleagues who help, support, encourage.”
“The apprenticeship award continues to be our World Cup. I look forward to Whyy? Change challenging again next year on all fronts. Bring on 2024.”
Matt is currently studying towards a degree equivalent, Level 6 Marketing Manager Apprenticeship in addition to a Level 6 CIM Diploma in Professional Marketing qualification, included in his apprenticeship.
The Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) Level 6 Diploma in Professional Marketing qualification has enabled Matt to develop his strategic marketing skills, digital innovation and ability to manage resources effectively at a management level.
The judges were impressed by Matt’s progression and the support he receives from Whyy? Change and commented on how very dedicated he is and were impressed with how he enjoyed sharing his skills with others.
Laura Stead FCIM, Whyy? Change’s Head of CIM, Matt’s Marketing Apprenticeship tutor said:
“Beyond proud of Matthew Trueman, South Yorkshire’s award-winning digital apprentice. Chuffed to be your tutor and colleague. Well done Matt, you absolute superstar!”
The annual South Yorkshire Apprenticeship Awards Ceremony’s headline sponsor was Amazon and judged by Louise Allen, Group Director of Global Business Development and Marketing – NOCN, Jill Coyle, Apprenticeship Manager – Nestlé UK&I Ltd and Alice Marren, L&D Partner at Arco Ltd.
Other winners at the South Yorkshire Apprenticeship Awards were:
- Intermediate Apprentice of the Year, Aneeka Zarar – Sponsored by Amazon
- Advanced Apprentice of the Year, Laura Fieber – Sponsored by QA Ltd
- Higher Apprentice of the Year, Joe Burns – Sponsored by University of Sheffield
- Degree Apprentice of the Year, Brad Thompson-Stevens
- Professional Services Apprentice of the Year, Ellie Eadon – Sponsored by AESSEAL plc
- Health & Public Service Apprentice of the Year, Preet Singh
- Construction Apprentice of the Year Award, Lucie Gresham-Hill – Sponsored by The Source Academy
- Engineering/Manufacturing Apprentice of the Year, Joseph Woodhead – Sponsored by Sheffield Forgemasters
- Technology & Digital Apprentice of the Year, Matthew Trueman
- Mentor of the Year, Connor Ryan – Sponsored by Sheffield Hallam University
- Diversity and Inclusion Programme Award, Yorkshire Accommodation Bureau Ltd – Sponsored by Yorkshire Humber Apprenticeships Ambassador Network
- SME Employer of the Year, Wilson Howe – Sponsored by Doncaster College
- Large Employer of the Year, ITM Power Academy – Sponsored by Barnsley College
- Training Provider of the Year, The Source Academy – Sponsored by NOCN Group
Are you inspired by this year’s South Yorkshire Apprenticeship Awards? Do you or your business have a passion for marketing, a drive for professional development and recognition? Join Whyy? Change’s award-winning marketing apprenticeship cohort this September. Get in touch to find out more; email@example.com / 0114 400 0077